Hard copies of Fredericton’s Vital Signs are available at the Fredericton Community Foundation, 390 King Street, Suite 201, Fredericton, NB and at the United Way of Central New Brunswick, 385 Wilsey Road, Suite 1A, Fredericton, NB.
Vital Signs has revealed some very interesting facts about our community. Did you know:
– We are a growing community and our median age is lower than both the provincial and national average.
– Our elderly poverty rate is much lower than the national and provincial averages, but our child poverty rate is above the national average.
– We have a low violent crime rate, but our property crime rate is above the national and provincial averages.
– As a whole, youth feel very positive about their language and culture being accepted in their community.
– We have a lot of smokers in our community.
– Diabetes rates are going down in Fredericton.
– Literacy continues to be a challenge in our community.
– Homelessness is on the decline.
– Obesity is above the national average and less of our high school students participate in sports than the Canadian norm.
– Fredericton boasts nearly a 70% tree canopy.
– We have a higher employment rate than the national average.
– Our residents have a shorter average commuter time than most Canadians.
– More of us give to charity than the national average and our gifts are, on average, larger.
Download a copy of the report or drop into our office or call us at 454-2262 to get a hard copy. It’s fascinating!
Our sincere thanks to the United Way of Central New Brunswick and Telus for their very kind support in creating Vital Signs.
Vital Signs is a community check-up by community foundations across Canada that measures the vitality of our communities and identifies significant trends in a range of areas critical to quality of life. Vital Signs is coordinated nationally by Community Foundations of Canada. The Vital Signs trademark is used with permission from Community Foundations of Canada.